HOW TO USE THE NEWSPAPER OBITUARY/DEATH NOTICE INDEX
The Lexington Dispatch was founded on September 17, 1870 by Godfrey M. Harman, who served as editor for its entire history. On March 7, 1917, it merged with The Lexington News (which was published from May 26, 1915 to February 28, 1917) to form the Lexington Dispatch-News. The newspaper facility burned on April 25, 1894 and again on March 27, 1916. In October, 1992, The Lexington County Chronicle was published October 7, 1992 to March 29, 2001. The Lexington County Chronicle and the Lexington Dispatch News combined into one publication on April 5, 2001.
Much of the first two decades of the paper no longer exists or was in poor condition when microfilmed. Between 1914 and 1917, records for both Lexington Dispatch and the Lexington News are again sketchy with many issues/months missing.
Obituary Source Code:
LD = Lexington Dispatch
LN = Lexington News
LD/LN = records in both publications on the same date
LDN = Lexington Dispatch-News
LCC = Lexington County Chronicle
LCCDN = Lexington County Chronicle and The Dispatch-News
Because the early years' information is relatively sparse, data is drawn from titled Obituaries, In Memoriam notices, and Death articles from available microfilm and compared with the extracts done by L.H. Buff, Jr. for the Lexington Genealogical Exchange.** In many records, the day of the week is noted rather than an actual date. **The Lexington Genealogical Exchange has abstracted genealogical information from early Lexington County newspapers. These volumes can be found in the Lexington Main Library South Carolina Room at SC REF 929.3 LEX.
If you need more information, please call the Reference Desk at Lexington Main Library, (803)785-2680.